Chef DeWayne McMurrey started his career at several casinos in Montana in 1996 and continued pursuits in the hospitality industry. He graduated in the top ten percent of his class at the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, New York. During this time, he interned at the Dallas Country Club under Certified Master Executive Chef, Ernst Gruch.
Chef McMurrey arrived at Texas Tech in 2005 and has strived to make this campus lead the rest of the nation in university food service.
- Apprentice at the Dallas Country Club under the instruction of Certified Master Chef Ernst Gruch.
- Graduated from The Culinary Institute of America, Hyde Park, NY.
- Jake’s Restaurant, Billings, MT
- Sartorie’s International Restaurant, Billings, MT
- Multiple chain restaurants, cafes, hotel, and country club experience.
- Texas Tech University Catering
- Member of the American Culinary Federation
- On March 19, 2008, Executive Sous Chef, DeWayne McMurrey, entered the NACUFS (The National Association of College & University Food Services) Regional Culinary Challenge in Athens, GA. DeWayne prepared the Seared Striped Sea Bass with Apple Buerre Blanc and won a bronze medal.
- 2010 NACUFS Culinary Challenge Southern Regional Silver medal winner. Prepared the portobello and spinach roulade with wild mushroom risotto and tournee carrots.
- 2010 NACUFS Culinary Challenge National Bronze medal winner.
- Chocolate Fantasia 2005 – 2010, 1gold , 3 silver, and a bronze medal.
- Catersource competition 2009 – 2000 hors deurves plated
- Cooking Demonstrations for Students and Staff 2005 – present.
- Chef of the Year Panhandle Chef de Cuisine / Regional Chef of the Year Competitor 4/2012.